I LOVE rice! There I said it! Fried rice, buttered rice ( southern delicatessen ) rice and tomatoes, hoppin john, broccoli rice casserole, poppyseed chicken…. you see where I’m going right?!
I have also discovered, what is my opinion, the most underrated vegetable! Cauliflower. The problem with cauliflower is that it also doubles as possibly one of the stinkiest vegetables! LOL! Until recently I have to admit I have never bought a single head of cauliflower. I never understand really what to do with it and the only time I had really ever seen cauliflower was maybe on a buffet line somewhere. So basically anytime I’ve ever seen it it didn’t look that appealing to me at all!
In March of last year I set out to not only improve my personal health but improve the health and nutrition of my family as well. That not only required me to find things I would enjoy eating but also that my husband and mine then three-year-old and one-year-old would eat too. Not exactly the easiest task in the world but I was determined!!
I came across the idea of cauliflower mashed potatoes and started there! To my absolute amazement my son (who is my wild card) LOVED THEM!! In fact he now thinks mashed potatoes are supposed to be white white and got upset when someone tried to cheat him with real potatoes 😂 That was a hard one to explain without giving away my secret!!
So deciding to branch out with my Cauliflower recipes, I saw a recipe that involved cauliflower rice! True to Ashley fashion I decided to create my own recipe, a dangerous but potentially rewarding situation. Here is what I came up with and SPOILER ALERT 🚨 It’s amazing!
Spanish Cauliflower Rice
- 1 Head of Cauliflower
- 1 Onion
- 1 Bell pepper
- 1 Pound of Ground Beef
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Can of Diced Tomatoes
- 1.5 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- Salt to taste
- Cheddar Cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat brown the 1lb of beef. While beef is browning, pull the leaves and cut out the stalk of the cauliflower and chop up the rest of the head. Place the chopped pieces in a food processor and “rice” up the cauliflower. Once the beef is brown remove it from the skillet.
- Add the riced cauliflower into the hot skillet and sauté it with diced onion. As needed add chicken broth to keep the cauliflower from burning. Add the diced bell pepper and once the pepper begins to soften add back the beef.
- Add the tomato paste the reminder of the chicken broth and the diced tomatoes (not drained) and mix everything well. It the mixture looks to dry add more broth as you see fit.
- You always adjust the seasons, adding more or not added as much, to fit you and your family’s taste preferences!
- Top with cheese and cilantro YUM YUM!!!
This was a huge success and this is the second time I have made this in about 3 weeks! It also makes great leftovers. As for the exchanges I personally would exchange it for 1/2 red and 1.5 greens. There are a TON of veggies in this!!!!
I share these recipes and more in my accountability groups that I run each month. If you are on your health and fitness journey and would like some support, tips and tricks for creating sustainable health lifestyle changes fill out the application below. Im currently taking applications for my upcoming May group!!